Can we analyze the data from a flat file

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

akonda
Participant

Can we analyze the data from a flat file

Post by akonda »

Hi

Can we analyze the data from a flat file source using information Analyzer (8.5) ?
arun
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

yes. Declare it as an ODBC source and analyze away.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Go through the "Identify Flat File" process of metadata import, which will create metadata from your flat file into the file QETXT.INI used by Information Analyzer.

(You can create the entries in QETXT.INI manually, but it's a tedious and painstaking process. Far better to let the computer do the work for you.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I don't know about 8.5, but in 8.7, the "Identify Flat File" task is disabled no matter what I click on.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

First you need to define a file location as a data source. Modify .odbc.ini on your DataStage server and add a new text ODBC entry with the location of your files. Go into Information Analyzer and add this as a new data store and choose the ODBC text driver from the list of database connections. Now you should be able to identify flat files under this data source in the Import Metadata screen.

I do not know how to identify files without first putting the file location into .odbc.ini.
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Agreed.

Also, there are actually many steps to configuring an ODBC DSN to connect to flat files. This link should help.
Regards,
Robert