No response from server testing connection

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Eulderma
Participant

No response from server testing connection

Post by Eulderma »

When choosing to check the connection of an ODBC via the button √ in the connection manager view the job starts in ProfileStage but there is no response from the server. Even after more than 4 hours waiting nothing has happened. Has anyone experienced issues related to the response from a server when trying to verify whether or not a connection works.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you connect using any other ODBC client, such as MS Query?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Check your TestConnection_xxx.err file in the Analysis Server's LogFile folder. You will see detailed information such as the following regarding why the connection failed:
Unable to continue.
Unable to connect to database using DSN/service 'ODBC FOR DB2'. Review connection information and correct if needed. Connection error: CoreOdbc::_ExecOpenDbSql_ODBC: Error in opening database connection to 'ODBC FOR DB2'.

Who can afford waiting for 4 hours to see....?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

...anyone being paid by the hour! :lol:
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Eulderma
Participant

Post by Eulderma »

Thank you for the respons.

With regard to the solution. I searched for the mentioned TestConnection_xxx.err file. But what I see in the relevant folder are only ini-files. There are no log files as from start this week. Before this week I had no problems whatsoever. So it appears that no log-files are being made. Maybe an underlying issue?

Concerning waiting. The process sits for 4 hours in the background because I'm not paid by the hour ;-). So while processing I have other work to do.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

You should have other files such as .log, .err for the ColumnAnalysis, GenOdbc2Mxf, PKeyAnalysis, SelectTables, TestConnection, etc.

Please check your MGXPgmInit.log file and search word "PISERVER" to confirm that MGXPgmInit daemon and Message Switch are still connected with each other. This file gives you the detailed information regarding the results of every step of your ProfileStage jobs.
Eulderma
Participant

Post by Eulderma »

Hi Istsaur,

Thanks very much for your help, this resolved our problem. I saw in the MGXPgmInit.log file that there were no more activities with jobs. So I stopped and started both related message switch services. After this the first job 'select tables' worked fine again.

Again thanks :-)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:oops: I should have thought of that. One of the very first things you do in ProfileStage diagnosis is to check the logs, particularly for message switch activity.

Please mark the thread as resolved.