Defining a Data connection in information analyzer

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

prashanth.spl
Participant

Defining a Data connection in information analyzer

Post by prashanth.spl »

I am trying to Define a Data connection in Information analyzer. But when i am checking connection string listbox it is not displaying anything. I want to know from which location the system will get the connection string?

Thanks in advance
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Add your connection details to the .odbc.ini file in the Server directory. Information Analyzer should pick it up from there. You should see the IADB connection already in there.
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

Do you have any other IA db connections that work or is this the 1st attempt? Also, do you have a uvodbc.config file in your analyzer project directory?
prashanth.spl
Participant

Post by prashanth.spl »

Yes. This is the first IAdb connections connection ... And the uvodbc.config is avaialble in ANALYZERPROJECT..
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

I've got a similar problem; can't get the odbc entry which was added in the odbc.ini to be listed in the Analysis ODBC DSN in IA (Analysis Database setup).

My IADB lives in Oracle. And I've just tested a previously added Oracle ODBC connection through a Datastage job - got a Connection was successful message if i test the conn. but if I run the job I get the following error:

[ODBC Oracle driver]Optional feature not implemented.

Look like the Oracle driver is not installed. But I've checked and the Driver=/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/lib/VMor823.so file do exist.

Any idea where things might have went wrong?
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

I have experienced a problem with the connection where it appears to be dropping the connection information. I have gone into the IS Console, selected configuration => sources => select source to work with and then select the connect option to establish the connection. I then went to import metadata and experienced a problem because of some missing or incorrect information, at the time I was connecting to a flat file and my QETEXT.ini file was incorrect. After the error on the import meta data option, it appears as though some of the data source information is lost because I can not connect. I returned to the configuration => sources => select source to work with and then select the connect option to re-establish the connection. I then correct my QETEXT.ini file and successfully connect and import metadata. This happens sporadically. It maybe because I have not applied the latest patches for Information Analyzer. I am at patch level 14 and I now see a patch 16. My point is the connection may be getting dropped and my workaround has been to re-establish the connection by going into the configuration => sources => select source to work with and then select the connect option to establish the connection.

Hope you find this useful. If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to help.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

You need to add in uvodbc.config file under projects directory as well.

Regards
Sreeni
bobyon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bobyon »

Isn't it suppose to use the uvodbc.config file in the DSENGINE directory if it does not find one in the project directory?
Bob
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Allegedly, yes, but I've always found it best to explicitly create them in the Projects where you need them.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

I'm having a similar problem. I had everything configured fine with IA 8.1. Then I upgraded to IA 8.1.1, and it overwrote my ANALYZERPROECT uvodbc.config file. I added the IADB DSN back to the uvodbc.config file in the ANALYZERPROJECT directory, but the IA console is still complaining with the following error: "The selected DSN has been removed. Please select a valid DSN"

The Analysis ODBC DSN drop-down has no entries to select. I have also tested the connectivity to the "IADB" DSN from a datastage job, and it's working as expected.

I have checked that both agent processes are running. I've already tried restarting the Agent and dsrpcd. I have already reviewed and tried the recommendations in the following note: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21376383

Here's the contents of my uvodbc.config file:
[ODBC DATA SOURCES]
<localuv>
DBMSTYPE = UNIVERSE
network = TCP/IP
service = uvserver
host = 127.0.0.1
<IADB>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC

I've also checked permissions on the file, and even tried changing permissions to 777. here's the current permissions
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dsadm dstage 1165 Aug 14 14:37 uvodbc.config

Anyone have any ideas?

btw, I'm on RedHat Linux.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

ok, nevermind. I just restarted all tiers (services, engine, agent), and now it's working... weird.