Difference between DWH Datastage and Datastage TX

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

arvindmaurya
Participant

Difference between DWH Datastage and Datastage TX

Post by arvindmaurya »

Hi Guys,

The datastage for Datawarehousing and datastage TX are two different product with the same name or it the same tool used in DWH as well as EAI.

Regards,
Arvind
Arvind Maurya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no such thing as "DataStage for DataWarehousing".

There are four separate products. What they have in common is that they all perform extraction, transformation and loading (ETL). The target does not need to be a data warehouse for any of them.
  • DataStage server

DataStage parallel

DataStage mainframe

DataStage transformation extender (TX)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can find the list of product classified under IBM's website.
http://ibm.ascential.com/products/
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
c341
Participant

Post by c341 »

Hi,
Whose contract pay rate is better - DataStage Developer or DataStage TX developer?
Just curious, I never worked on DataStage TX
Thank You
Regards - c341
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think DataStage jobs are far more common than TX jobs. For example on an Australian job site I see 113 ads with DataStage in the job description and 4 with TX or Mercator (the old name for TX). This means if you are an expert in TX you could potential earn the most money since resouces are hard to find, but you could face a longer wait between contracts. If you are a TX beginner it could be much harder finding work.
jvmerc
Participant

Post by jvmerc »

Are you looking for a tool or consult?

I'd put the most emphasis on what it is you want to do. While all of the tools perform data transformation each has a different strengths.

DataStage is probably a better tool if you are running batch operations and are working with large amounts of data tied to databases.

DataStage TX will work with a broad variety of databases but is much less efficient when loading large files to tables. Not sure there's much diff in data extracts.

Both are very good when it come to confirming data integrity.

TX is probably better when it comes to working with edi/x12 formats and has have a nice HIPAA package.
ravish_rao
Participant

Post by ravish_rao »

I also heard about DataStage TX for WBI Message Broker. How different are Datastage TX and DSTX for WBI MB.

Thanks,
Ravish.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Ravish,

Welcome aboard :D !!!
You should be refering DSTX to Datastage TX, one and the same.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'