Help with releasing locked job.

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Help with releasing locked job.

Post by admin »

I have a job that I was attempting to validate when I lost communications (dial-up) to the DataStage server. Now, after reconnecting, I am unable to perform any functions on this job. When I attempt to run the validation through the DS Director I get the error message "Cannot get exclusive access to job ORAContract"

I have tried the Cleanup Resources and Clear Status File items along with logging onto the Unix server to kill the phantom jobs. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing incorrectly?

We are running DS Ver 3.6 on Unix. My client software is installed on W98.

I also tried to access the job through DS Designer. The process did pull up the job for display; however, when I attempted to compile, the message above was displayed in the compiler message box. I was able to save the job to another job name, compile the new job and execute the new job.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

Stephen L. Jones
Senour Designs, Inc.
"Why is there never enough time to do the job right,
but always enough time to do it over?"
admin

Post by admin »

Stephen,

You probably did a "kill -9" on UNIX. In common DataStage parlance this is a "no-no", as that signal is not maskable and doesnt give DataStage a chance to clean up after itself. At 3.6 the options are more limited than with the newer versions, where this lock will get cleared automatically. If you have root access you can enter use the Cleanup Resources Director option to find the lock on the job (this will be in clear text) and identify the for that user. Then through the Administrator you can issue the
DataStage command "UNLOCK ALL" and that processs lock will be gone.

Again, at newer releases this wont happen and please, please, dont "kill -9", a simple "kill " and a minutes wait for the process to complete will save a lot of time in the long run.

-Arnd.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 13:23
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: Help with releasing locked job.

I have a job that I was attempting to validate when I lost communications
(dial-up) to the DataStage server. Now, after reconnecting, I am unable to perform any functions on this job. When I attempt to run the validation through the DS Director I get the error message "Cannot get exclusive access to job ORAContract"

I have tried the Cleanup Resources and Clear Status File items along with logging onto the Unix server to kill the phantom jobs. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing incorrectly?

We are running DS Ver 3.6 on Unix. My client software is installed on W98.

I also tried to access the job through DS Designer. The process did pull up the job for display; however, when I attempted to compile, the message above was displayed in the compiler message box. I was able to save the job to another job name, compile the new job and execute the new job.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

Stephen L. Jones
Senour Designs, Inc.
"Why is there never enough time to do the job right,
but always enough time to do it over?"