Getting Datatype From Hashed File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Andal
Participant

Getting Datatype From Hashed File

Post by Andal »

I am having a Situation to retrive the datatype from the Hashed File. I will get Hashed filename as a Input, and I have to do a Select from the Hashed file.

Let me give u a example

Select Col1, '|' , Col2 From HashedFile.

If Col1 is of Datatype Char and the corresponding Value is "-" and the Col2 is of Datatype Integer and the corresponding Value is "0", Then I have to Return True Else I have to Return False.

So I want to Know , how can we retrive the datatype of the column in the Hashed File. Another Info is I have to perform this task when my row count of the Hashed file is 1 or 0. This we can do that by taking Count(*) but i want to know how to get the datatype.
Rgds
Anand
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Andal,

I am confused by your requirements. A hashed file is usually read using a hashed file stage, not with an SQL query (mainly for performance reasons). The column type is not an attribute in either a table or a hashed file stage that can be read. It is possible to read the hashed file's DDL by using the DICT (ionary) definition, but this is an advanced step.

Are you certain you need to retrieve the column definition for a hashed file and that there is no way around this in your design?
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Hi Arndw,

I want to do this in a routine. My input to the routine will be the Hash file name and my output would be either True or False based upon the scenario i have explained.
Rgds
Anand
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hashed files have different data types to SQL. A hashed file column has two optional attributes to specify data representation:
1. The format/justification such as "12L" or "4R", and
2. An attribute for a conversion such as "D4/E" or "MD2".

The combination of these two attributes gives the effective data type for a column - this is very different from SQL definitions. Could you explain what you are trying to achieve and perhaps someone can come up with an alternate method of getting what you want?
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Basically I want To return @TRUE or @FALSE, from the routine.

I will explain some scenarios.

Code: Select all

Hashed File Name = Hash_TableName

Col1 [Key] --> Datatype = Char
Col2 --> Datatype = Integer

The Values are like as

Col1 = -
Col2 = 0
In this case I want to return True.

We may also have values like

Col1 = aa (Other than Default Values)
Col2 = 0 
In this Case, I want to return False from the routine.

In simple, if we are having only default values (For Char '-', For Int "0" and for date "1900-01-01 00:00:00") I want to return True , Else I want to return False as Ans from the routine.
Rgds
Anand
Sunshine2323
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Sunshine2323 »

Hi Anand,

Can you please explain the logic behind checking the datatype?
Can't you make a comparison for '-' or 0, why do you also need to check the datatype?
Warm Regards,
Amruta Bandekar

<b>If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. </b>
--Albert Einstein
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

At sometimes, For Char values, we will be having 0. In that case , I want to return False.
Rgds
Anand
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

From my post earlier - you can't tell directly if a column is char or integer from the hashed file definition. You should work on the column's contents instead of its definition since hashed file contents are actually unstructured.
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Hi Arndw,

Can You please show me , how to use this to identify the datatype of a column in the Hashed file
1. The format/justification such as "12L" or "4R", and
2. An attribute for a conversion such as "D4/E" or "MD2".
Rgds
Anand
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Andal - I've been trying to tell you several times now that these two attributes cannot with 100% accuracy determine the datatype of a column! If the justification is L instead of R it is probably text versus a number. If the conversion is MD<n> then it is most likely a number since the MD conversion stands for Masked Decimal. But even a 6R and MD0 defined column could still contain the value of "Hello World" in a hashed file.
Andal
Participant

Post by Andal »

Arndw,

Sorry for that. I read ur earlier post wrongly

you can't tell directly if a column is char or integer from the hashed file definition
I read it as You can, because i am desperately looking for the solution. Sorry for the confusion.

I will try to achive this by some other logic.
Rgds
Anand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hashed files do not have data types. You can store any value in any column in a hashed file (irrespective of the hashed file's table definition) if you're using a Hashed File stage or if you're using DataStage BASIC.

Therefore, your only possibility is to access the hashed file's table definition to read the metadata. This can be done in DataStage BASIC. The table definition is stored in the repository in a table called DS_METADATA; the key is the full category and hashed file name; there are multi-valued fields forming a collection of column definitions within the record structure, and the SQL data type is enumerated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.