Lookup in a comma delimited file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Lookup in a comma delimited file

Post by narasimha »

Hi all,

I am looking into a file which has a group of numbers, (comma delimited)

I have to do a lookup with all the individual numbers in the group and check if they are in the table,
If atleast one of them is not found in the lookup then I have to reject the entire row.
The issue is that I do not know the maximum number of numbers which can be in a group.
What would be the best approace for this
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You can again use the same logic that Ken had suggested few days ago. Load this csv file into a hashed file with just one column containing the concatenation of the individual fields.

For your case:

Code: Select all

But you should atleast be able to guesstimate the maximum number of columns that a record can contain. Is it really impossible to approximately guess how much would the size of the record with max. numbers??

Anyways, will let you know if I can think of any other way.

Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In a word, Pivot
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Ray,

Can you please throw more light on this,
If atleast one of them is not found in the lookup then I have to reject the entire row.
The issue is that I do not know the maximum number of numbers which can be in a group
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Pivot preserving @INROWNUM.
Perform lookup, recording found/not found result.
Vertically pivot, recording "And" of results.
Continue if result still equals TRUE.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sunshine2323
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Sunshine2323 »

Hi narshimha,

If I understand your requirement correctly then

You want to look up these numbers against a database table column and if any of these numbers are present in the column then reject the row.

As suggested, you can pivot the data in the sequential file to get it in this format

This can be done using the function
Ereplace(DSLink3.InputRecord,',',Char(13):char(10))
Now you can load this data into a Sequential File and then load to a Hash File.
After this a normal lookup can be done against the hash file key column to check whether that value is present in the column or not.

Hope this helps :)
Warm Regards,
Amruta Bandekar

<b>If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. </b>
--Albert Einstein
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

I guess you are right, but with an addition
I had to remember the group to which the number belonged, and reject the entire row/group. So i had to split them up(remember the group), do the lookups's. Then reject the group which had atleast one number missing. I played around a little with hashed files, to solve my issue. It was fun.
Thanks all :)
Narasimha Kade