Datastage installation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mimi
Participant

Datastage installation

Post by mimi »

Hello,
Is it possible to install Datastage server and client on the same computer ?

Thanks for your help
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yes
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
In this case both the sever and client should running under Windows. (on same machine). Of course they will be completing for the same resource.

If the server is running under UNIX, the client and server will be on different machines and client talk to server via TCP/IP.

Ketfos
vcannadevula
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Datastage installation

Post by vcannadevula »

mimi wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your help

It is possible to install But it will not work with XP Home edition
yatin.mittal
Participant

Post by yatin.mittal »

Hi

Yes, it is possible to install datastage server and client on the same system.
You can install anything first.
Even you can make your system as server, and install cliet on that, accessing that server and also client on other systems can be installed accesing your server system.
You need to just specify the IP address of Server at the time you start any cliet service like Manager or Administrator.

With regards,
Yatin Mittal

mimi wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your help
Yatin Mittal
Accenture Services Pvt. Ltd.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

yatin.mittal wrote:Yes, it is possible to install datastage server and client on the same system.
It is important to note here that this is only true when someone has licensed a Windows server. You cannot simply make a blanket 'yes' statement like this. :?

The client software is Windows based, so must be installed on a Windows PC. The server software can be either Windows or UNIX based. A Windows server can be installed as the same machine as the client is installed - assuming the O/S is compatible as there are more restrictions on what Operating Systems the server supports as opposed to the client.

Obviously, a UNIX server would not be able to be installed on the same machine as the client.
vcannadevula wrote:t is possible to install But it will not work with XP Home edition
Actually, once you move up to the 7.x version, you'll find it's not even able to install on XP Home - the installer attempts to detect unsupported installs and block same. It's not perfect but does work most of the time.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

Code: Select all

You can install anything first. 
If both server and client are going to be windows version, is it not mandate that server should be installed first.

regards
kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, but of course the client can't connect to anything until you have the server up and running.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

My original answer is still sufficient because the question was wide open and I answered in like fashion.

I left out the conditions because the poster didn't ask about operating systems, versions, licensing, or any other restrictions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ken,

my original response to the original response would have been identical.

Reminds of the Pink Panther episode where Clouseau is in the lobby of an old-fashioned Swiss hotel with the elderly hotelier and a little growling dog. Clouseau asks "Does your dog bite" and the receptionist responds "no". Naturally Clouseau gets chomped on when he attempts to pet the dog, "I thought you said your dog does not bite" - whereupon the man says "It is not my dog" :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version 7.5 was the first that will not install on Windows NT 4.0. Versions earlier than 7.5 can be installed on this O/S.

Version 7.5 requires Windows 2003 Server (officially) but will install on Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP Pro - though you won't get support in either of these cases.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.