Source records equal to trailer records

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dslearner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Source records equal to trailer records

Post by dslearner »

HI,

This is the sequential source

Date,Cusip,Security,Speed,SpeedType,Yield,Duration,Moody,SP,MajorType
9/20/2005,79548KP77,SBM7 1999-C1 B,0,CPY,4.63,3.004,Aaa,,
9/20/2005,036234190,.GSR 2005-AR6 1A1,,,4.59,1.9,,,
TRAILER,2,Wed Sep 21 05:00:00 EDT 2005,,,,,,,

The following condition

If No.Source records = Trailer count then pass into another Target (sequential) file. If condition not satisfies then abort the job, it does not insert the records in the target file.

Please tell me any one know, How do I will implement this logic?

Thanks
Sri Hari
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by adarsh shrinagesh »

One option could be process the source file in the job control
Count the number of lines<excluding the first and last> and compare this with the count field of the trailer record. If they dont- call jobAbort.

There are also inbuilt routines that count the number of lines in datastage 7.5 which u cud use.
dslearner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dslearner »

adarsh shrinagesh wrote:One option could be process the source file in the job control
Count the number of lines<excluding the first and last> and compare this with the count field of the trailer record. If they dont- call jobAbort.

There are also inbuilt routines that count the number of lines in datastage 7.5 which u cud use.

Hi Adarsh,

Iam not get the ur point,please explain clearly.

Thanks
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by adarsh shrinagesh »

dslearner wrote:
adarsh shrinagesh wrote:One option could be process the source file in the job control

Hi Adarsh,

Iam not get the ur point,please explain clearly.

Thanks
U could either create a routine<which wud then be called in the before stage subroutine> or do some preprocessing in the Job Control ... where u could read the sequential file and count the number of rows and compare it with the value of the Trailer record's 2nd field.

Either ways u cud call DSLogFatal to abort the job if the condition fails(ie no of records counted<> no of records mentioned in the trailer record>
pnchowdary
Participant

Post by pnchowdary »

Hi dslearner,

Its always a good practice not to abort a job. Instead you can use two jobs, first job to check your condition and second job to actually process the data. In a job sequence, you can run the first job and depending upon the result, either run the second job or not.
Thanks,
Naveen
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can pre-process in UNIX (perhaps through a before-job subroutine).
The number of detail lines in the file is given by expr `wc -l $file` - 2 while the number from the trailer line is given by tail -1 $file | cut -d',' -f2,2
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

We are doing the exact same thing at our site. Incoming files have headers and trailers; if they are missing or contain incorrect numbers then we assume that the extract or transfer mechanism by which they arrived has failed and we do not process them. Whether you abort or skip depends on how important the file is and its dependencies.

We dealt with it as Ray suggested: with a Unix script before the DS job processes the file.

I wrote a generic Perl script that I call "File Receiver". It will:
- handle delimited or fixed width files by supplying an optional delimiter
- verify the existence of a header if required by checking for a key word
- verify the existence of a trailer if required
- verify a detail record count from a given column/char range in the trailer
- strip DOS carriage returns and EOF markers
- read the nominated file and pass detail records to a nominated output file.

If dslearner or anyone else is interested I would be happy to provide it free of charge (and free of liability, support, and responsibility). It is vanilla Perl and should run on any Unix system. It's probably a bit chunky to post here though; send me a private message if you want it emailed, if many want it I will post it on the web and leave the URL in this thread.
Ross Leishman
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If it is not too big then post it in this thread with alt-c code tags around it.
Mamu Kim
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Whats "too big". I'm not at work at the moment, but I think it's a few hundred lines inc comments.
Ross Leishman
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What ever became of our File Library? :cry:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's currently at ADN, but stay tuned...
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.