How to run a mainframe job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fmartinsferreira
Participant

Post by fmartinsferreira »

Hi, I'm new in Mainframe Jobs and I have a question: How to run a mainframe job?

I already made a job, generate a code(3 files - one COBOL, one JCL compile and one JCL run) and the code is in my personal machine,
but the job does not appear in Director, I don't know if I need to put the files in the mainframe machine?, And I'm completely lost.

Can anybody help me?

Regards
Fernando
dls
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dls »

The short answer is , yes; you'll need to upload the generated source code and JCL to the MF.

If you're going to continue to develop with DS390, you'll need some training.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

dls / Fernando,

before you take the class, the documentation does detail the procedure and that might give you a broad overview; but I would highly recommend taking the training before doing any work.
anil411
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anil411 »

Fernando,

After generating the code, click on upload job and transfer these files to mainframe. Login to mainframe and open the compile JCL file in edit mode. Check the job for errors by typing !jck <enter> in command line. If the return code is 0 or 4, you can submit the job but typing sub <enter> in command line. When the job is finished, check for return code, if it 0 or 4 open the Run JCL file in edit mode and the same (!jck and sub).

Later I will write details on each step.

Hopefully this will work.

Anil
fmartinsferreira
Participant

Post by fmartinsferreira »

Thank you and I would like to take a training but I don't have time, I'm in the midle of the project and if I ask to take a training my manager will say to me "bye bye friend!".
I'm not the one in Mainframe Jobs but with your help I hope to make these jobs.

Best Regards
Fernando
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Right below the Generate button in Designer is another button called Upload. This is how you get the COBOL and JCL to the mainframe.

After that, it's someone else's problem; DataStage does not - can not - control execution on the mainframe.

And the politics of getting permission to compile and run on the mainframe can be awesome! :roll:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.