ODBC Connection from DataStage to Informix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rrcreddy4
Participant

ODBC Connection from DataStage to Informix

Post by rrcreddy4 »

Hi All,

We are trying to connect to the Informix using the ODBC. The informix database is being used by Avaya Call Management System which resides on Sun OS Box. Our Datastage 6x resides on HP Unix. We are trying to use the wire protocol given by Ascential to connect using the odbc(by making entries in odbc.ini). Whenever I try this, the whole informix database hangs and the administrator has to reboot the OS. I know it sounds funny. When I checked the sqlhosts file under /usr/informix/etc, I see that the cms DB Server using the shared memory. I have the below questions to the forum:
1)Does anyone connected to Avaya CMS(Call Management System) database using the DataStage ODBC.?
2)If one wants to set up the ODBC, what are all the things need to be verified?Like, DB Name, Port number etc? How can I find this information.

Appreciate your help

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Informix is known to be VERY sensitive to the version of ODBC driver for any particular version of the database. Contact IBM support for details. It may be that it's the version of the driver that is causing the problem that you are seeing. Have you tried it with a non wire protocol driver?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mkeevil
Participant

Post by mkeevil »

We currently connect to Avaya but we used drivers supplied by Avaya, not the protocol giving by Ascential. We connect to the CMS using the Avaya drivers The driver is called OpenLink Generic 32 Bit Driver v4.0.
rrcreddy4
Participant

Post by rrcreddy4 »

[quote="mkeevil"]We currently connect to Avaya but we used drivers supplied by Avaya, not the protocol giving by Ascential. We connect to the CMS using the Avaya drivers The driver is called OpenLink Generic 32 Bit Driver v4.0.[/quote]

Hi mkeevil,

Do you connect to avaya from Datastage? If so what OS is your Datastage is on?

Mine is HP UX.

Please let me know

Thanks
mkeevil
Participant

Post by mkeevil »

We are running off of a Windows box, the drivers we are using were supplied by Avaya
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
in the $DSHOME/../branded_odbc directory you should find all the info you need for defining your odbc connection.
there are lots of things there including work-around configurations for known issues using the odbc driver (of Data Direct at least).

AFAIK, wire or not Informix still requires .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config entries, also you might need to configure the env to point to a 3rd party's driver manager if you use one.
you need your SH_LIB_PATH to contain the Informix client library first and naturally have your INFORMIXDIR pointing to the right directory
All env must exists in the dsenv file and a stop/start of dsrpcd process is in order for them to be apllied
(don't forget you need a 32bit client).

If I left something out it's under the branded_odbc directory.

Good Luck,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
rrcreddy4
Participant

Post by rrcreddy4 »

Thanks Ray.

If I need to make an entry in to the sqlhosts file on the Sun Solaris Box which has the Informix DB server, I need to know the DB name, Host name and the service I am going to use. And also the document says that the service has to be listed in /etc/services file with correct port. Now my question is how do I know the port number. Is there a way I can check this.
Thanks for the help
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ask your DBA.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers