Nvarchar datatype

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kruthika
Participant

Nvarchar datatype

Post by kruthika »

Hi,

How to handle NVarchar datatype in Datastage Server job.

If we use varchar datatype for Nvarchar in Odbc stage...Will it makes a difference?

Thanx
Kruthika
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, you can use VarChar for this datatype. The NVarChar is for instances where the database has no NLS and is used to contain string data in an alternate character mapping (i.e. to hold Multibyte data).

You can use VarChar without a problem in DataStage for NVarChar fields provided you don't need to have a character set conversion be performed. Even if the data contains multibyte or other non-local character set data as long as you don't need to perform substring-type operations on that column you will have no problem.
kruthika
Participant

Post by kruthika »

Thanks for ur reply,

Can I load the data of NVarchar datatype into a temporary table with varchar type and then perform transformations on the data using the temporary table as source further? Does it affect the data of that field?
Kruthika
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sure you can do a load to a temporary table and use that data further. There is no magic surrounding the NVarChar datatype, it is just like a VarChar which can hold a different character set from varchar [at least that is the way I look at it].