Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kruthika
Participant

Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob

Post by kruthika »

Hi,
I am facing a problem while executing the job sequencer .
when i execute the job LoadingIndicatorCDataSeqFile individually its working fine for 100 records.there are abt 180 records in my table.For 101 th rec it gives the following error:
jsCPM043LoadSeqFile..JobControl (@ja_LoadingIndicatorCDataSeqFile): Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob(LoadingIndicatorCDataSeqFile), code=-14
[Timed out while waiting for an event]

Cld U plz help me reg this.This is very urgent.plz....

Regds,
Radhika
Kruthika
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not nearly enough information for anyone to help you without guessing what it is you are doing. :?

What is your Sequencer job doing? What does the 'LoadingIndicatorCDataSeqFile' job do? As a guess it sounds like you are launching a job for every record in a table... and swamping your server.

You may need to wait for one job to finish before starting the next or perhaps sleeping for a period of time between job invocations to keep the number of simultaneous jobs in check.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

A code -14 means that your system is overloaded and Ascential has gracefully allowed the particular job control API they wrote to KABOOM blowup rather than generate a return code that allows the job (or in the case of well-written home-grown job control) to gracefully handle this situation.

What is going on is that the job control API was not able to do whatever it needed to do within its own unknown parameters. So it decided to go nuclear. Your choices are:

1. Contact technical support, as they can give you some configuration options that might mitigate this problem
2. Monitor your system so that NOTHING causes the machine to run at peak so that DS doesn't blow up (I know, difficult when you have other than DS processes that can consume resources). WHat's funny is that you can have something like a database slam the machine, then run the simplest DS Sequencer that runs the simplest Server job and it blows up with the -14 issue. It's nothing that you're doing, it's the job control API that has the issue, and you can't even program for it because it HARD EXITS rather than return with a code value.
3. Wait for a future release where hopefully they will fix this.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle