Removing the warning from the log file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Removing the warning from the log file

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

hi all
we are facing a peculiar problem. we are getting innumerable warnings in the log file.
we are aware of what these warning are and we are fine with the warning which are coming.
we want the job log to come without the warning messages. we want to see only the info message and the fatal messages.

Is there anything we can do to achieve our objective.
Any basic functions any thing we will try to replicate

Any inputs will be highly appreciated

Thanks and Regards
Pavan
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

pavan,

when you go into the Director and look into the job log you can choose the menu View -> Filter or use the shortcut Ctrl-T to choose to remove the "Warning" type messages from the log view. This is not necessarily a good thing to do, as you might get other warning errors that you do want to fix which you won't see - plus if you have hundreds or more message that get written to the log file each run you will also end up clogging up that log and you won't notice it (since you can't see these entries)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is DataStage's philosophy to log anything you need, or may need, to know about. This is not just errors, it's also unusual events that would not happen on every run, such as table creation, or a message from a database created with no logging that transactions are not supported.

While it's true, as Arnd said, that you can filter these out, they're still in your log file. Beware that, if your log file grows too large, performance can suffer. If it grows too, too large (hits the default 2GB limit) it will become corrupted internally and will be unusable until repaired.

You really should seek to determine the source of these warnings and take steps to prevent their being generated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Alexandre
Participant

Post by Alexandre »

Moreover, when you have a lot of activity with the log file (like one warning per line) the performance greatly suffer...

It also remind me of this time, when I get used to see in director : Finished (see log) and missed a really important warning... From this day, all my jobs are finishing without warnings, even if I have to make them a little more complex.