Problem starting DS clients

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

holgi02
Participant

Problem starting DS clients

Post by holgi02 »

Having just installed DS version 6.0.1 on Windows 2000 I have a problem starting DS clients. I get the message

"Failed to connect to host: localhost, project: UV (The connection was refused or the RPC daemon is not running (81016))"

When I look in the event log I see the following error:-

"DataStage error: Unable to bind socket to uvrpc port. WSA error: 10038. "

The services show that the DataStage Engine Resource Service is started along with the DSRPC Service.

What is missing in my setup?

Tx

Gil.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Unable to bind socket" usually results from the socket not having been release properly from an earlier run, or perhaps that something else is using the socket.
DataStage RPC (the listener for the DataStage clients) listens on port number 31538 by default.
The "Microsoft solution" (re-boot) is guaranteed to clear all sockets! :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
holgi02
Participant

Post by holgi02 »

Hmmm.. the reboot made no difference. I am still getting the same error. :?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I had this one not long ago, unfortunatly I gave up on it and uninstalled/reinstalled DS all together since it was no problem for me.
if you can easy enough do the same you'll get it working.
bare in mind that if you need to backup configuration files/projects and such do it or risk loosing it.
if you have important info in this installation contact Ascential support.

Good Luck,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
holgi02
Participant

Post by holgi02 »

roy wrote: uninstalled/reinstalled DS
Thanks for the tip Roy but I've been there, done that, have the T-shirt etc. etc. still no joy.

I even thought it might be a virus that is giving me a denial of service or some such - updated all my Anti-Virus stuff - still not playing ball.

I will become angry soon as this machine has had this software working previously. What I have to do is work out what has changed in the meantime - no mean task.

Gil stumps off to review his Registry entries and a few other things.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
well I uninstalled and cleaned house as well (folders if left/registry entries .. the works)
and after no sign of DS ever been installed on my mahine did I reinstall, had no more issues after that.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ferreirahe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ferreirahe »

Hi,

Just to add some more info to the gang.
I installed DS 7.xx on a laptop with W2K Server and the same problem arose. The reboot did nothing but confirming it did not work.
I installed t at home on my desktop (Win XP-Pro SP1) and it is working fine.
Then, I received my new laptop with XP-Pro. I have just finished installing it. I does not work. Not even with a reboot...
What's going on?
There is no pattern... :x

Cheers,
Henrique
ferreirahe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ferreirahe »

Got news 'bout this...

I think the problem may reside on a conflict between those corporate installations (back office applications) my laptop has and the DS services.

I have just installed DS on a XP-Pro SP1 fresh installation under a Virtual PC partition on my laptop and everything works fine (until now...).

Now I have found a macro-pattern. DS works on my own XP installations and it does not work on my company customized installations... :roll:

Well, I'm glad I got that VPC ( :D ). I will try VM Ware in the future...

But, it would be nice if Ascential could solve this eventual conflict... 8)

Cheers,
Henrique