Interaction between DS(PX)7.x , PS, QS?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vdreddy
Participant

Interaction between DS(PX)7.x , PS, QS?

Post by vdreddy »

Can you please through some light on using all the 3 tools to gether...
1.While usng DS(PX)7.x and QS, can QS be a part of the job-mapping in the DS or PX jobs.?
2. I read little bit about PS & MetaRecon...I guess these r both same tools used for data-profilling/mappings...Can we do the same things with both these tools for profilling?
How much is an advantange using PS in a project with DS(PX)?
3.How much time/resources/money does it cost roughly if we have to do all profilling/mappings without PS...as we have to deal with the mappings and do profilling in DS(PX)?

Your expert feedback will help me a lot.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

QualityStage version 7.0 can be seemlessly embedded into a DataStage job, right down to the transaction level. It is well integrated and should suite PX architecture very well.

The biggest obstacle we have faced has been the sharing of metadata between these tools. Typically our data sources have long field names, QualityStage forces us to map these fields to short field names under eight characters in a fixed width format, the output from QS are then mapped to long field names at the destination. This creates an extra set of metadata to map and document and it adds complexity to the task of impact analysis on individual field changes.

We also found problems in the process of importing metadata changes from QS into DS which I hope will be cleared up in future releases.

My recommendation would be to evaluate MetaStage if you are using DS and QS to alleviate the metadata tangle. This should make it easier to track your data through the end to end process and do impact analysis on metadata changes. I really think Ascential should be offering MetaStage free or at a significant discount to QS/DS 7.0 users, at least until they have rebuilt the metadata management in these tools.

I don't have any experience with ProfileStage (which is the new name for the MetaRecon tool) however the ROI would be based on the number of databases you have, the number of tables and columns in those databases, the amount of existing documentation (models and dictionaries) on those tables and access to in house staff who know what that data means. Basically the more unknown data the more valuable the tool.
vdreddy
Participant

Post by vdreddy »

Thanks for ur feedback...

Can you please tell me how u have embedded QS into DS...I mean is there any PLUGIN available to do the interaction.

I was not able to find any help from the Accential doc's about the interaction of QS and DS.

Also, we will be using the MS for the meta data management...so I guess when ever we reach a stage to manage or monitor our impacts...it would be OK.

Thank You
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

See my comments on the related topic:

viewtopic.php?t=85362&highlight=

What you need is the QS_DSplugIn_R7.0.pdf document. Send me your email address through the forum message link and I can email it to you.
Dario
Participant

Re: Interaction between DS(PX)7.x , PS, QS?

Post by Dario »

vdreddy wrote: 3.How much time/resources/money does it cost roughly if we have to do all profilling/mappings without PS...as we have to deal with the mappings and do profilling in DS(PX)?
Ofcourse it depends on how your sources look like (complexity, consistency etc) and the volumes of data, dbs, tables and columns.
But just to get an idea of the amount of work saved with a tool vs. a manual approach; DAMA Group estimated that it took 3-5 hours to analyse 1 table attribute without any tool. With PS, experience has shown, that the same work can be done in a round 15 min for each attribute. Multiply that with your source columns and compare that to 3-5 hours!
So yes, the time/cost reduction can be tremendous.
//Dario
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

vdreddy wrote:Thanks for ur feedback...

Can you please tell me how u have embedded QS into DS...I mean is there any PLUGIN available to do the interaction.

I was not able to find any help from the Accential doc's about the interaction of QS and DS.

Also, we will be using the MS for the meta data management...so I guess when ever we reach a stage to manage or monitor our impacts...it would be OK.

Thank You
there are 2 plugins, one for metadata one for the jobs of qualitystage. get both from the download area in e.services from our website..

these allow access to the qualitystage gui within a job canvas, as streamed passing of data into a qualitystage job.
Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com
Creo
Participant

Post by Creo »

Do you know if the plug-in is available in PX jobs? It seems we could only install it in the Server palette...

Thanks!

Creo