transaction grouping with Odbc

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hi,

what DS version do you have?
Is Server Unix or Windows?

Wolfgang
In my job I have one transformer and one Odbc stage, and there are five links union this stages with enabled transaction grouping.

Then If one link failed, DataStage do a rollback.

My question is: how could I know when this situation ocurred?
Because this link haven't got DSLink20.lasterr and I need to know than a rollback has been done.

thanks for your answers,

WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hola Sara!

my expierence concerning DataStage (Version 3.x, I've now jumped directly to 5.2) is, that working with transaction grouping is not easy and sustainable. So we did never use this Database features. We (and a lot of projects I've seen in other companies) have used an own method. Every Job got a unique number (maybe a sequence from Database or a key from DataStage) which was one field of every table in the database. If we had to delete the files we made a "delete from MyTab where MyNumber=&number" and we had the same result as a rollback. And other advantage was, that even many days after filling the table we could delete the rows.

So perhaps you may think about this. For update and delete actions it is a bit more complicate but it also works. If you are interested on the how to, ask me.

Te deseo un fin de semana hermoso.

Wolfgang