FTP Leading Zeros

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

FTP Leading Zeros

Post by MrBlack »

I'm using the FTP_Enterprise stage for SFTP for the first time. When my numeric columns are being sent through, the recipient is seeing leading zeros on the numbers. So the column was define Numeric 38 and my data is showing up as

Code: Select all

How would I remove these leading zeros from the CVS so my recipient doesn't have to?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It is likely related to the data type chosen rather than the FTP stage or type of transfer. Replace the FTP stage with Sequential File stage to see. Then do a search on "remove leading zero" which is a topic that has been resolved online here many times over. Resolve it prior to FTP.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's how DataStage works, and always has. It adds leading and trailing nonsignificant zeroes to the extent specified by the Precision and Scale settings. Don't worry, it's still the same number and will produce the same results in arithmetic.

You can only remove the zeroes if the target data type is string of some kind.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

As Ray has hinted at, but not explicitly stated, convert your numeric value into a string inside DataStage before writing to the CSV file, and your leading zeroes will not appear.
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

Anyway its a csv file. Why cant you define your metadata as varchar? Thats should solve your problem I guess.
Arun
naveenkumar.ssn
Participant

Re: FTP Leading Zeros

Post by naveenkumar.ssn »

hi

Cant we add a transformer and trim the leading "zeros".

Regards
Naveen
Naveen Kumar
Datastage Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not if the data type is Decimal.

Well... you can, but DataStage will reinstate them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.