Find Job Creating The Hash File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Find Job Creating The Hash File

Post by jerome_rajan »

Hi,

One of our client's existing DataStage jobs involves a process that reads from a hash file for a lookup. the hash file's metadata seems to have been manually entered.

I need to find the job that's creating this hash file to make some modifications. Is there a way to do this?
Jerome
Data Integration Consultant at AWS
Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

1)Use MEtadataworkbench tool

or

2)Go to Stage Types->server->select Find where used all types for Hashed File which will not give exact solution for but it will help you.
or

3)In one of the post i read we can use ds_jobs or other hashed files but not sure exactly how to join to answer your question
Thanks and Regards
Vamsi krishna.v
http://datastage-vamsi.blogspot.in/
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seeing as how you are saying the metadata was "manually entered" I'm assuming you already tried #2 and it didn't work for you, even if you have the metadata saved in the repository. If I can find my DS_JOB notes, I'll post them but someone like Ray will probably wander by and pony up some search SQL. Eventually. :wink:

Worst case, export the project and do a string search in it for the hashed file's name.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

chulett wrote:...
Worst case, export the project and do a string search in it for the hashed file's name.
Why should this be the last resort? Any specific reasons?
Jerome
Data Integration Consultant at AWS
Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

[shrug] No, not really.

I guess just because it involves exporting the entire project, searching for a string and then working back up from there to find the name of the job. Getting a query against DS_JOBOBJECTS would be much more better.

Or as I've mentioned many times over the years, we automated a process that took the daily project exports and then used jobs we adapted from Chuck Smith's website to parse them into database tables. Then you can easily use SQL to find things of this nature.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers