Abnormal termination of stage ..for any server job on DS 8.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjhouse
Premium Member
Premium Member

Abnormal termination of stage ..for any server job on DS 8.5

Post by sjhouse »

we are migrating projects/jobs from DS 7.5 to DS8.5 on AIX 6.1 OS platform and we see a different behaviour that all jobs which reset just fine in DS7.5 now get an "Abnormal termination of stage JobName..xfmCopyMbd detected" in DataStage 8.5

The warning goes for all jobs; does not matter if it has a transformer; only time you dont get that warning is if you have the ODBC stage (which is considered a native stage to datastage). the DRS stage will also give warning's

IBM is aware of the problem but they have not seen any other customer complain about it. though they have been able to reproduce intermittetly by the Engineering (which is priority 1 and severity level 1 problem).

I would like to know if this "Abnormal termination of stage " is just limited to AIX or more platforms for DataStage 8.5 (no patch installed on my servers) which would then be widespread

let me know if someone here was able to reproduce the same warnings on their DataStage 8.5 project. this reset warnings are only limited to server jobs; parallel jobs are not affected
sjhouse
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjhouse »

BUMP..!!! anyone who has similar Reset job warnings/error on different OS

the issue is high priority for DS setup because we are in production with DS85 and production projects are "Protected" . when the project is protected you lose the ability to compile jobs and Reset is only option.
Another problem which surfaced combined with Reset is that If inside any DataStage job if you had 3 different streams with different source stages

ODBC -->XFM --> Hash (stream 1) (Deletes and recreates hashed file each run)

OCI > XFM --> Hash (stream 2)

ODBC--> XFM --> Hash (stream 3)

When you reset the above job

Reset generates 2 warnings related to 2 of the streams

Abnormal termination of stage Jobname..xfmCopyMbd
detected (2)

jJobname..xfmCopyMbd..hshMbr.PersonCntrPkgHistOut: DSD.UVOpen Unable
to open file '/proj/ETL/Projects/dvl/aaa/externalfiles/hash/hshMember'

(1) Rerunning the job after the reset only stream 2 re-runs(the OCI stage stream).

(2)Stream 1 Hashed file deleted in reset is not recreated. Stream 3 Hashed file not cleared and stream not run.

The only option is to unprotect the production project and re-compile the jobs

IBM has identified it has 2 different issues one where the hash file when deleted does not recreate and Abnormal termination with no error messages. it also does not create any Core dump
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please don't BUMP!! (We regard it as offensive.) If anyone has anything to post, they will. Or do you want all 35,000 members to post that they have not experienced this issue?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... it was a 'bump' to add more information, not something we should really mind. In my humble opinion.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vam
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vam »

Chulett..
did you ever find out resolution for this problem... we are facing similar issue and jobs are failing with abnormal termination.. we restarted all the services on the box as IBM instructed and still unable to resolve the issue..

we are able to re-run the jobs once we reset the jobs..

Thank you
kris..
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It wasn't my issue, so no.

Best to start your own post on the subject with the gory details of your problem.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers