Reading Encrypted Data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Reading Encrypted Data

Post by info_ds »

Hi All,
I just want to read encrypted data from a table using oracle stage ,but i am not able to do that.Can anyone tell me how to do that in datastage? or Is it possible to read an encrypted data from the table using any of the stages?

Comments appreciated
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Encrypted how?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How was it encrypted? Is it using Oracle stored procedures or other utilities. It need to be decrypted the same way for you to read it. You need to find out how it was encrypted.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What he said. :wink:
-craig

info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi,
If I find the way it has been encrypted .Is it possible for me to read the data in any of the database stages of DS ?.If yes how can i do that in DS

Thanks in advance
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well Yes and No. You will have to run that stored proc./utility and capture the output and read it.
I am not exactly sure how its done in Oracle. I have heard that oracle uses some stored procs. do get this done. So you are looking at STP stage and outstreaming it to a file.
I know in sql server 2005 they use EncryptByKey() function or the DecryptByKey() function to encrypt or to decrypt data in the column that contains the sensitive data. Try talking to your DBA. Maybe he will be able to direct you in the right direction. You can even google your quest. Let us know what you find.
How is this for a start.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First, you need to find out how the data was encypted. Not sure how much plainer to make it. Any discussions on how to 'decrypt' it will be driven by that answer. Everything else is just table talk.
-craig

StageZilla
Participant

Post by StageZilla »

Are you sure its encrypted data? It may also mean that you are using the wrong NLS MAP if your data looks like that!
Or else you need to decrypt the data outside of DS in the converse way of encryption.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is not a codebreaker. It can only do what any other database client can do - issue SQL that includes appropriate SQL functions for performing particular tasks, and receive the results of such SQL.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.