defaulting ENV var through job without storing into file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhaskarjha
Participant

defaulting ENV var through job without storing into file

Post by bhaskarjha »

hi

can anyone plz tell me to default ENVIROMENT VARIABLE through job without storing that value into any file . or is there any way to do this using routine

thanks
Bhaskar Jha
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Can you please elaborate on your question? From what I understand, You can always define new environment variables in DataStage Administrator and then call them from Job Properties tab using Add environment variables. You can define the default values in the Administrator Client and pass them to the Job using the $PROJDEF or $ENV based upon the requirement.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

hi

i have some computed value that i am getting in job1, i want to store this value in a enviroment variable and in job1 only after getting computed , then in job2 i want to use the same value of env varible
Bhaskar Jha
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

bhaskarjha wrote:hi

i have some computed value that i am getting in job1, i want to store this value in a enviroment variable and in job1 only after getting computed , then in job2 i want to use the same value of env varible
I think dynamically setting enviroment vairable is not possible...

Better go with hash file .... set value in hash file in job1 and read value from hash file in job2

Thanks,
Anupam
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

i have stored the value required in a hash file , in job1. now can i allocate this value to any varible ,or can i take this value as input in any routine, so as i can call that routine for getting the value stored in datastage
Bhaskar Jha
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Can you tell us,what is your exact requirement. If you need to pass on some value from one job to another as parameter, you can use JobStatus option available in JobSequence. Search for the same, it has been discussed. Optionally, you can write to a external file, say hashed or sequential file, and read it from the second job, or read and pass it to second job.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You might find project specific environment variables easier to use then hash file variables. See my blog <a href=http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/websphere ... >DataStage tip: using job parameters without losing your mind</a> which has a full description and screen shots for creating and using these variables.