Defining A Project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sivatallapaneni
Participant

Defining A Project

Post by sivatallapaneni »

Hi guys what are the PROS and CONS of having single big project.
Why I am asking is in DS we cant maintain common objects, cant have global variables (Cause they are variables only at the project level).
My client is using DS for the first time and there question is why cant we have a single big project if we cant maintain common objects and global variables. I told them that the logs will grow up and performance goes down. I need very good answers other than the one mentioned above . Pls help.
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

Even I am waiting for this to be answered by anybody. One more qustion is when will one think that they have to create a new project. Why cant we do it in a single big project. What kind of situations drive to create a new project.
Venkat Velagapudi
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

Can any of the premium posters reply to this topic pls.
Venkat Velagapudi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

sivatallapaneni posted this at 2:45am my time, velagapudi_k demanded a response at 4:27am. If you want me to answer questions at this hour you are going to have to pay me BIG BUCKS!!!

We don't do "urgent" here. Urgent replies can be had by signing up for premium support from your support provider, and I suspect they will also impose a large premium for 24x7 cover.

I'll think about your questions, and post a response when I have one.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

I am not demanding Ray. I asked Can any of the premium posters reply to this topic pls. Because you guys know more than us. Its just requesting. Nobody is Liable to this site right?
Venkat Velagapudi
velagapudi_k
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by velagapudi_k »

I am sorry if RAY or anybody got offended with my post.
Venkat Velagapudi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, poor choice of word. I'd just emerged from slumber! I apologize unreservedly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

This has been answered before but if jobs are all related to one subject then one project is fine. A smaller project has a faster refresh in Director. It is easier to backup. It is difficult to run jobs from one project ot another. If you can isolate jobs so that you never need to run them then multiple projects are better.

500 jobs or less it does not matter. If you get 1,000 or more jobs then more projects are easier to manage. After 1,500 in older versions really started to slow down. This seems to be less of an issue with newer versions.
Mamu Kim