Load all Hashed file into memory

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Load all Hashed file into memory

Post by mavrick21 »

Hello,

We have enough memory to load our entire project.

1) Is there a way to load all Hashed files, present in the project directory, in to memory before we start our ETL run?

2) If yes then would it, by any chance, alter the way our jobs are behaving? We have few jobs that just read the hashed files, few which just write to the hashed files and few which read and write to the same hashed file in the same job.

3) Once our ETL run completes is there a way to write all the hashed file contents present in memory back to the disk?

Thanks for your help
-Mav
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Load all Hashed file into memory

Post by SURA »

I doubt .....No

DS User
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Gurus,

I stumbled up "Using System Caching" in "Hash Stage Disk Caching" PDF document. When I tried "DAEMON.FILE.CACHE START 60000" I get "Disk Cache not enabled." error.

How do I enable Disk Cache?

Thanks,
Mav
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

I wrote:How do I enable Disk Cache?
Think I got it. It's the same document.

Let me give it a try and will update this topic.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Is there a limit on the number of Hashed files that can be loaded into memory?

I'm trying to load 258 Hashed files into memory and it looks like it's taking for ever.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no limit till you start running out of memory. However, every byte of memory you use for cached hashed files is marked memory that is not available for any other purpose. So the more you use, the less you have for other tasks. The whole thing's a trade-off - supply and demand.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've learned something today. There is a limit.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Ray,

Most of our hashed files size is between 256 MB and 1.5 GB. Is there a work-around to catalog a few/most of them?

Thanks
Mav
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not many.

The shared cache limit is 512MB according to that documentation.

Caching via the Hashed File stage gives you 999MB as the limit.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm really curious what the goal is here and I'm wondering if all this curious energy isn't being misdirected. I get the impression you may not understand the use of "shared cache"... from what I recall from my play time with it many years ago, it is a way to cache hashed files into memory that many jobs would typically have open simultaneously. That way, rather than having five jobs caching five separate copies of hashed file X into memory, they could all share one copy. It's not really meant to be a place where every single hashed file you might want to use over the course of a run could be "preloaded".

At least that's what I recall.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Craig,

When I initially posted my question I wanted to load every single hashed file into memory but after I stumbled upon "System caching is not intended to be used if only a single stage is creating or reading the file." in the PDF I realized my approach is wrong.

Craig/Ray,

Few more questions:
Caching via the Hashed File stage gives you 999MB as the limit.
1) Is this private link caching? If so can the Hashed File be preloaded into memory?

2) Is 999MB limit for a single Hashed File stage or the entire project?

Thank you.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1) Yes.
2) Entire project. Or maybe entire server. Not individual hashed file.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

This is an interesting question. I'm waiting for my premium membership to kick in to read all the responses so far, so I don't really know what answer you have got in detail just yet.

You asked about cataloging hashed files in bulk. What do you mean by catalog in this case?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

@Eric,

Sorry for my late response. By Catalog I presume loading a Hashed file into memory. Please read through "Disk Caching Guide" manual for more information. I'm still an amateur in this topic and hence I'm trying to get clarifications from DS gurus by asking a lot of (possibly dumb) questions

@Ray/Craig,

I've a job which looks up on a huge Hashed file (< 999 MB). This Hashed file is used only by the job hence I'm using Private Link Caching and also have increased the Read Cache Size to 999 MB in Administrator. Can this Hashed file be cataloged (preloaded into memory) even before the job starts? If so can you please tell me the steps?

Thank you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

With private link caching there is no way available to pre-load the contents of the hashed file into memory.