High CPU Utilization - wait for file routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

High CPU Utilization - wait for file routine

Post by gomez »

We have about 25 wait for file routines running on our Production environment. Wait for file routine by the way, is the one given to us by IBM virtual support and it is similar to the one you find in the forum viewtopic.php?t=115198&highlight=wait+file+wildcard
We are experiencing about 100% utilization of CPU on our Production environment. Given it's only with when the listener jobs are running that the CPU is heavily taxed. The processes I see started are the uvsh.exe (DataStage shell) for each job (when I had just 5 listeners on), svchost.exe (service host to run .dll's) and only one instance of it. The svchost.exe process is taking up to 30% while each of the uvsh.exe processes taking up to 5% totaling totaling the 6 processes together for 55%. Along with other processes, I'm assuming that these DataStage processes are calling them adding up to 75% overall CPU utilization. Is there any way to optimize this? All the listeners do is write a capture file on UVTemp folder whenever they wake up. I have a sleep interval of 1 sec between the loops. Appreciate any suggestions on this

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Increase the SLEEP interval in the routine. SLEEP should not consume any CPU.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

Thanks Ray. I wasnt able to test this until now. Increasing the sleep time solvedthe problem. The CPU usage went down to 6 - 8% from 100%.
Thanks again for your help!