Question about month

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpockets
Participant

Question about month

Post by jpockets »

I'm trying to extract month from the date. And i'm having trouble. My date is coming as following:
31-AUG-07

I been using Oconv(date, "D M[2]") but it's not working. I need to return 10, is Oconv the right way to do this?

Thank-you
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You need to first do an ICONV on it and then do an OCONV with just the month mask.

Code: Select all

OCONV(ICONV(in.Date, "D2-"), "DM[2]")
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jpockets
Participant

Post by jpockets »

Thanks for the reply. It's working but i'm getting an error message saying: Invalid character value for cast specification

LEDGER_DT = "31-AUG-07"
LEDGER_MONTH = 08
Ledger Month is defined as numeric 2
LEDGER_DT is defined as timestamp 23
this is the code i'm using to get ledger month:

[code]OCONV(ICONV(LP_POLICY_SALES.LedgerDate, "D2-"), "DM[2]") [/code]

Anybody know the reason driving this error?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I see a problem with the model. '08' is not numeric, its varchar or char. 8 is numeric. If you want a numeric field, then you wont get '08'. If you, absolutely want a two digit month then you have to change the datatype of this field.
To prove my point, multiply the ICONV/OCONV code with 1 in the derivation and then insert, you will see what I am trying to explain.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jpockets
Participant

Post by jpockets »

Thanks for the reply the problem was with the column ledger date so i used to this code and it worked:
[code]Oconv(Iconv(LP_POLICY_SALES.LedgerDate,"D2-"),"D-YMD[4,2,2]"): " 00:00:00"[/code]

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Time to mark the thread as Resolved, then?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.