Change DataStage clients default directory (compilation)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Telenet
Premium Member
Premium Member

Change DataStage clients default directory (compilation)

Post by Telenet »

Job compilation on clients is sometimes writing data in the "C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage" directory. Within our company it is not allowed to have write access on this directory. Does someone now if it is possible and how to change this default setting ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is possible, but you need to change some Registry entries. If "they" won't let you write to C: drive I can't see them letting you change the Registry.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Telenet
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Telenet »

Can You tell me what Registry entries have to be changed ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Change DataStage clients default directory (compilation)

Post by chulett »

Telenet wrote:Job compilation on clients is sometimes writing data in the "C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage" directory. Within our company it is not allowed to have write access on this directory.
:roll:

We really should be keeping a list somewhere of all the silly rules we've seen people having to deal with over the years...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ascential Software\DataStage Client\CurrentVersion\GenCodeRootLoc

Good luck getting permission to change the Registry! If they allow that, ask them why the default folder (a specific folder on the C: drive) can not be made writable.

You will lose this registry setting when you upgrade to a new version or even when you re-install the client software. Having a writable folder offers future-proofing against this contingency.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Telenet
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Telenet »

Does not seem to work (tested it on local client).
Disabled write access to the current datastage directory and pointed to another directory with full access rights in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ascential Software\DataStage Client\CurrentVersion\GenCodeRootLoc
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is rather prolific in its use of the Registry. In addition you probably need to change
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ascential Software\DataStage Client\DSCC\Wizard\GenCodeRootLoc

Rather than have me search, why don't you do a registry search for any other instances of GenCodeRootLoc ?
Telenet
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Telenet »

I have serached for all keys in the registry (I have found 2) then replaced them and the end result is still negative.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Looks like "they" will have to let you write to the C: drive, then! :wink: