Source Data Truncated

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Source Data Truncated

Post by DeepakCorning »

I have a job which reads from a SQL Server and writes to a Oracle Database. Its one to one job with IPCs in it.

When Irun the job all the character fields from teh source are truncated to length 1 (without any errors) and are loaded in the target liek that.
When I say view data I see the same result. There is no substrings , no logic involved in the complete job.

Let me know if anyone has seen such a kidn of behavior before.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version 8 is still very new. Bounce it off your support provider, supply a reproducible case, and let us know the outcome.

Have you specified Char with no length in the table definition? Some databases interpret that as Char(1).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Sorry Guys , Its not version 8 its Version 7.5. I am not sure how it got that 8.

No , length is provided in the source stage. The source stage is a DRS stage.
nick.bond
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nick.bond »

at the same point you write to ODBC write a sequential file too and check the data in there. This will allow you to narrow down where the problem is.
Regards,

Nick.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

On the target side have you checked the display setting, sometimes when you are trying to view data that causes this behaviour.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Write the Output to a Sequential File and Check the data, If you get the complete set of data, then your job is working fine.

In this case Check in the Database whether any triggers or constraint is there.

Thanks
Anand
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

I removed all the stages in the job and directly sourced the data from the source SQL table in to a Seq file.
I get the same result. Every character field is of lenght 1 in the file , so if a NAME = Mike , then in the file NAME = M.
pradeepleon
Participant

Post by pradeepleon »

DeepakCorning wrote:I removed all the stages in the job and directly sourced the data from the source SQL table in to a Seq file.
I get the same result. Every character field is of lenght 1 in the file , so if a NAME = Mike , then in the file NAME = M.
Try this,
Go to the source stage(SQL Server), outputs tab,columns tab,
Derivationtab and remove all the column derivations if it has any.
Thanks,
Pradeep

(Ten Hugs And Nine KisseS - THANKS)......is that true?

In GOD we trust,for all others we take cash.
baglasumit21
Participant

Re: Source Data Truncated

Post by baglasumit21 »

DeepakCorning wrote:I have a job which reads from a SQL Server and writes to a Oracle Database. Its one to one job with IPCs in it.

When Irun the job all the character fields from teh source are truncated to length 1 (without any errors) and are loaded in the target liek that.
When I say view data I see the same result. There is no substrings , no logic involved in the complete job.

Let me know if anyone has seen such a kidn of behavior before.
Have u checked the job log in director. see if it gives some warning message and if that message is helpful
SMB
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

FYI, I had a similar issue connecting to SQL Server 2005, on DSEE 7.5.1A on RHEL. IBM has issued me a patch, which resolved the issue.

Please contact IBM:
Scase:473187
Ecase: 74157

The patch contains updated versions of the following files:
libdsplugin.so, liborpheus.so, dscapiop.so

-rob

good luck! btw, now I have a strangely similar issue when extracting from SAP R/3, using the ABAP Extract stage. Still working with IBM on this one...