MIGRATION OF HASH FILES from one project to another

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

satyasur
Participant

MIGRATION OF HASH FILES from one project to another

Post by satyasur »

hello all,
I am trying to move some of the hashed files from one project to a new one by copying the hash files folder from the project directory and then pasting it into the new project directory on my machine.
after that i set pointers to them in the new project by the SETFILE command.Then if i run the jobs(which use these hashed files) they run fine.
1>has any one tried this before is this method safe to go into production env :?:
2>are there any other methods as well?
3>If i have many hashed files to be moved then by this method i will have to set VOC pointers for all of them one by one is there an efficient way?
Thanks in advance. :D
satish.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

1> Yes and yes
2> Yes
3> No - must be one by one
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
satyasur
Participant

Post by satyasur »

Hello Ray,
ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard. :D

1> Yes and yes
2> Yes***
3> No - must be one by one
A>as mentioned in the second point could you please tell us what would be the other methods to do the same?

B>for the third one i thought i would simplyfy the process(kind of automate it) by reading a sequential file which has the NAMEs of all the hashed files to be moved as a the key field into a routine (one row at a time ) which in turn executes the SETFILE for each of the names.

name names
SEQFILE--------->transformer calls routine------->writes to another dummy seqfile.

this would simplyfy my task if i have hundreds of hashed files :D
any comments?
Thanks .
xcb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by xcb »

satyasur wrote: A>as mentioned in the second point could you please tell us what would be the other methods to do the same?
Instead of copying and pasting, why not create a job(s) that will create your hash files in each project that you need to migrate to?

If you are creating your files outside of the project directory, than an After-Job call to SETFILE will create your pointers for you.

You can wrap these jobs up in a job sequence, so that you can run them all at a touch of a button.

Your suggestion on how to automate the creation of file pointers will work, but using the method I've described will ensure that each file created has its own pointer.
Cameron Boog
ray.wurlod
Participant

Other Methods

Post by ray.wurlod »

uvbackup then uvrestore

format.conv -export then format.conv -import

The answer to your third point remains "no" as far as I am concerned. All you would be doing if you followed your or Cameron's suggestions is to code what remains a manual process. It remains true that there is no command to do this for you.

Actually, that's not true if the hashed files are created in an account, but that's clearly not what you're doing, otherwise you would not be talking about SETFILE.

CLEAN.ACCOUNT will check for hashed files in the account (project directory) and create VOC pointers for them. But it does not have any option for looking in a different directory.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
satyasur
Participant

Post by satyasur »

thanks guies :)
will look into that too.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

On Windows you will also need uvwalk to create the source file for the uvbackup command.