Help req for setting proper ENV variable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhaskarjha
Participant

Help req for setting proper ENV variable

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hi,
My Server job runs fine when I run it from director. But once I schedule the job to run in future. It got aborted with message "Failed to allocate environment handle 'ENV'". Can anyone please suggest solution.
Thanks,
Bhaskar Jha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? Odd... what operating system? I assume you are using Director to schedule the job, yes? And 'in future' means what - one time or a recurring number of times?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hi,
Operating System is UNIX, I am scheduling my job (for daily run of job) from director.
Bhaskar Jha
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do you get the same error when you use the dsjob command from the UNIX command line to start your job?
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hi Arnd,
My job runs fine when I run it with dsjob command.
Bhaskar Jha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

bhaskarjha wrote:Operating System is UNIX, I am scheduling my job (for daily run of job) from director.
Know that from your post. :wink: Was wondering who's it was - HP-UX, AIX, etc. And the other question was to ascertain if you were into 'cron' or 'at' land. It will use cron for recurring schedules like 'every Monday' while 'at' is used for one-time runs - tomorrow at 8am, for instance.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hi chulett,
The OS is AIX. I am not using 'cron' or 'at'. I am just scheduling my job from director for evryday (ex:- to run by 7 am in the morning).
Bhaskar Jha
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When you schedule a job from the director in a default UNIX environment it will use "cron"; DataStage does not have it's own scheduler.

Once you've scheduled the job, look at your crontab to see what the actual command is that is being issued. Also remember that this process needs to have the dsenv set and find the dsjob command in it's command path.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Probably create a small script that sources the dsenv file and then executes your job.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ENV is a reserved word - it's the DataStage command for getting and setting environment variables. Use a different name.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.