Job Control process pid has failed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhaskarjha
Participant

Job Control process pid has failed

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hi,
While running a job I am getting following message (warning)
"Job control process (pid 553122) has failed" & after that I am getting message as "Job Aborted". This happened earlier also, then we restarted the server & it was running fine. But today again its happening. Can you please let me know the reason behind & suitable steps to resolve the same.
Thanks,
Bhaskar Jha
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats all the messages that you can provide us ?
Do a reset and see what other messages show up in your log file.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

This time also I restarted the Datastage server, & now its running fine. The problem is that after warning (Job control process (pid 2187352) has failed)), the job is still running, only thing is I am getting message in director (in green) that "Job Aborted". while running through command line of unix the return value comes as 3 (that of Aborted).

Few of my jobs got aborted after 50 warning logged. Can you please let me know how to remove this setting. I have seen the setting in Director ---> Job --> Run Now --> limits (Abort Job after 50 warnings). But by default its set as Abort Job after 50 warnings.

Thanks,
Bhaskar Jha
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

You can change the defaults in the Director Client. Go to Tools>>>Options and then select Limits tab and you can set the defaults for all your jobs.

With that said, It's not a good sign when you have more than 50 warnings in your Job. You might want to try investigate into it and resolve them.

IHTH
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

at the unix level you can set the warning level

Code: Select all

dsjob -run -warn 1 Projectname Jobname
-warn 1 will set the warning limit to 1. YOu can specify any number there.

And as per the job that aborted abruptly, you need to go in the director, reset it, some more messages will be written to the log file. You might see a warning message there that may tell you more about why the job failed exactly.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

bhaskarjha wrote:Few of my jobs got aborted after 50 warning logged. Can you please let me know how to remove this setting.
As noted, you will be much better off if you fix your jobs so they don't generate warnings. IMHO, there's no reason under the sun why Server jobs should ever generate warnings, let alone enough to 'need' to set the limit to Unlimited. :shock:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

chulett wrote:
bhaskarjha wrote:Few of my jobs got aborted after 50 warning logged. Can you please let me know how to remove this setting.
As noted, you will be much better off if you fix your jobs so they don't generate warnings. IMHO, there's no reason under the sun why Server jobs should ever generate warnings, let alone enough to 'need' to set the limit to Unlimited. :shock:
We encountered this kind of error, when there was a server reboot while DataStage jobs were running. (unexpected/unpalnned reboot)

We were on Windows Server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In future, demand at least 12 hours notice of all unplanned outages. :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.