ODBC for Oracle 10g

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

infonewz
Participant

ODBC for Oracle 10g

Post by infonewz »

We have Ascential DataStage 7.5 server on a Solaris 9 OS. We need to setup a dsn for our target database which is Oracle 10g. In this process of setting up the dsn the following needs to be configured: dsenv, .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config

Can anyone tell me the specific steps that need to be done to setup this dsn.

Appreciate any useful information in this regard.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, you configure the dsenv file for the Oracle client information needed to use the native interface - the OCI stage. For ODBC, the other two files you mentioned are the ones that need to be edited.

For ODBC, just copy what you find in the existing files for Oracle (assuming you'll want to use a wire driver) and make a new entry in each file. It's not that hard to figure out.

Why not go native? Much better choice all around unless there's no way to get the client software on the DS server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
infonewz
Participant

Native for Oracle 10g

Post by infonewz »

chulett wrote:Actually, you configure the dsenv file for the Oracle client information needed to use the native interface - the OCI stage. For ODBC, the other two files you mentioned are the ones that need to be edited.

For ODBC, just copy what you find in the existing files for Oracle (assuming you'll want to use a wire driver) and make a new entry in each file. It's not that hard to figure out.

Why not go native? Much better choice all around unless there's no way to get the client software on the DS server.
Thanks for the information.

Looks like going native may be a better choise. I guess we can have Oracle 10g client software on the DataStage Server. Can you give more information on native and how to set this up?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The changes needed in the dsenv file are fully documented in both the OCI plug-in pdf and the larger 'Installation and Configuration Guide for Supplemental Stages' - aka the instconf.pdf file. Basically, you are setting the ORACLE_HOME and 'shared library path' variables for the DataStage environment.

Keep in mind the fact that DataStage must be stopped and restarted for any changes to take effect.
-craig

lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

Why not go native? Because the native Oracle OCI stage does not support "Long" data types.

Sure they should be converted, but we can't stop the world until that happens!

I have used ODBC with Long data before Oracle 10g, but can't read such data in 10g. Actually, I can't read any 10g table now. Oracle client is 9i.
Anyone have any idea why?

Larry
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

OK, I think I just discovered why ODBC and Oracle 10g won't work. It is quite simple: There is no ODBC driver for Oracle 10g. I've been using the Oracle Wire driver and it does not work. Maybe I'll try the non-wire driver just for kicks.

Larry
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? We're quite happily using the Oracle Wire Driver against 10g databases with 7.5.1A - what version of DataStage are you running?
-craig