Tuning DS server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asvictor
Participant

Tuning DS server

Post by asvictor »

Hi

One of our client came with this request of Tuning their Jobs. When I checked the Job, they we quite ok, but the Performance was very much affected while running the Jobs. The DBA had informed that they have four CPUs, but I dont know whether Datastage is configured to use all the available CPUs. I have a doubt they will still be using one CPU which affects the Performance of the Jobs. How do I check whether DS uses all the Four CPUs? if it is not using, what should I do to make DS use all the available CPUs.

Do i need to do some setting in the Database? (DB2) or do some setting in Datastage server?

Can some one help me please?

Cheers,

Victor
Victor Auxilium
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Victor,

How was the job performing initially when it was delivered to the client.

When you run the job you can do performance statistics for active stages by selecting performance statistics option in the Tracing tab that comes in the Job Run options.

Check servjdev.pdf chapter Optimizing Performance in Server Jobs. It gives more info on the point discussed where you can find whether the job is performing poorly because it is CPU limited or I/O limited.

If it CPU limited try Turning ON Row Buffering for the job and run the job. It is available in Performance tab in Job properties window. See if that improves performance.

In Process Row Buffering enables the data to to be buffered rather than passing them by row. Interprocess row buffering enables active stages to run on a seperate process. You can also make use of IPC stage explicitly in the job to enable interprocess buffering.

HTH
--Rich
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

multi cpu configs

Post by flashgordon »

just wanted to add one other thing in addition to the excellent post above. unless you are using enterprise edition (parallel extender) one job can use at most one cpu. so unless you are running lot's of jobs at the same time or you have a lot of other non datastage stuff on the datastage server extra cpu's may or may not help the datastage job you are having performance problems with. One datastage job uses one pid and one pid can use at most one cpu.

... Flash Gordon
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

just wanted to add one other thing in addition to the excellent post above. unless you are using enterprise edition (parallel extender) one job can use at most one cpu.
In my experience, at least on HP-UX (Unix), this is not true. With InterProcess Row Buffering turned on each active stage can run on it's own process and these processes can be scattered across all the processors that DataStage can access on the box.

Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not a statement you can generalize to say that a DataStage job will use only one CPU. For starters, the job runs in one process, an active stage will run in a child process. The likelihood is that they will get different CPUs. Further, independent active stages (for example separate processing streams) in the one job will all get separate processes. And I haven't even mentioned IPC stage or row buffering yet! Nor running multiple instances of server jobs!

I'd be looking at other things that slow throughput down. For example, are the logs purged regularly. Are there squillions of old files in the &PH& directory? Does the job execute the "query from hell" during extraction? Is loading blocked by other processes (for example backups, batch loads, etc.)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aaronej
Participant

Post by aaronej »

Ray,

What standard practice would you recommend for purging log files? What is your best practice for this?

Thanks!

Aaron
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

Inprocess and interprocess row buffering can definitely improve performance, but they can also hurt performance. I don't like the idea of using the project wide setting, but analyze and test on a job by job basis for complex jobs and jobs that need performance improving.

Also, don't forget to work with the DBAs to help tune big queries. Often doing simple selects and moving grouping to aggregator stages and joins to hashed file lookups will improve performance. Depending of your needs look into all the options on the database load side from changing how often commits are performed; analyze delete all rows vs. truncate table vs. drop and recreate tables; looking into dropping indexed prior to load and recreating after load; verify when insert new or update existing should be used versus update existing and insert new.

Back to DS, typically best performance is gained when hashed files have write cache turned on, are pre-loaded to memory for lookup, and you can even increase the minimum modulus for large hashed files to improve write performance.

Performance tuning in DS is endless...hope this helps, but as others mentioned before the first question to answer is whether you are more CPU bound or I/O bound and the effect of network traffic.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
ray.wurlod
Participant

Purging of DataStage job logs

Post by ray.wurlod »

Best practice is to have automatic log purging enabled, and to perform manual log purging when a large number of events is logged.

Automatic log purging is triggered when a job completes successfully. It is not triggered if the job fails to complete successfully.

You may need to propagate automatic settings to logs of existing jobs, if enabling it in Administrator for the first time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aaronej
Participant

Post by aaronej »

First, this is a really great and (for me) timley thread - thanks to everyone who has chimed in and provided great information. Second, what are the down-sides to interprocess row buffering? Why would you not want it turned on at a project level? I understand the concept of what this is doing, I'm just not sure I fully comprehend the downside to it.

Any help further understnading this would be great.

Thanks!

Aaron
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The downsides? Mostly what I've seen is either the buggy way it was implemented or just the fact that it is the nature of the beast. :? This impression may also change from version to version. Heck, Ascential sent of a big alert yesterday for anyone using the 7.5 Enterprise Edition to download 7.5a ASAP because row buffering is horked. :wink:

I recall quite a number of posts here that start out: "I've got the weirdest problem" and end with "turn off row buffering". We've seen Aggregator problems, Oracle problems, all kinds of very interesting problems that magically go away when buffering is turned off. My own personal most recent favorite is a phantom "Unique Key Constraint Violation" caused by buffering.

In my philosophy, we keep it turned off at the Project level and only turn it on in those jobs that "need" it or will benefit from it - and only then after significant testing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Row Buffering is horked in 7.1.0 also... Go ahead, ask me how I know... :lol:

Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Um... how do you know, Tony?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

I've been fighting jobs that "hang" or abort with "X columns were expected, Y were found" messages for several weeks. Support folks suggested turning off Row Buffering on these jobs.

Guess what? There's also a problem if you disable Row Buffering sometimes it doesn't disable it. You know this when you reset the job and get "ipc_getnext()" and "timeout waiting for mutex" errors on jobs that hang or abort. Heh.

Then after you do get row buffering turned off, you're watching a job and think it's hanging because the row counts don't increment in real time in a section of cascaded transformers, they stay at zero. Just be patient. It will finish in good time. And when it does the row counts will be updated.

All good now, though. I did mention that I love my job, right? :lol:

Tony
rggoud
Participant

Post by rggoud »

Hi,

We recently upgraded to DS 7.0.1 from DS 7.0. We also got the same errors (mutex error / Expecting n columns Y columns found). Thanks to Tony's suggestion we turned off row buffering, our jobs ran fine but it is taking long time to complete. Is there any fix so that our jobs will run fine using inter-process row buffering.

thanks.

Raj.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Aside from upgrading (and I'm not sure of that) or getting some kind of patch from Ascential (I'm also not sure of that), I don't know of a fix. You might try to restructure your jobs so that you can run multiple instances at once, then partition your data and send it through the multiple instances. Unfortunately, your job design doesn't always allow this.

Good Luck,
Tony